Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Paleo Cookies/ Nut Bars



So this is the newest recipe. I made these last night because I had a bit of a sweet tooth. I got the original recipe from Steve Parsoneault's blog; however, mine didn’t turn out anything like his. I put a couple extra things in my cookies as well.
Also I have found out that the cookie/ nut bars are a great pre or post workout snack. They aren’t too heavy which is why I think it works for either or but don’t go eating 5 bars 10 minutes before a workout or you probably won’t feel too good. When I say they are good for per workouts I mean 1 bar 30 minutes before your workout to give you a little extra energy just to specify. 

2 cups chopped almonds (I used whole organic almonds and chapped them myself with a food chopper)
2 cups chopped walnuts (chopped them the same way)
1 cup coconut flacks or shredded coconut
½ cup chopped dates (I used whole pitted dates and chopped them myself)
6 oz package dried cranberries (you could probably use any dried fruit you like)
2 cups honey
Cinnamon to taste (I used about 4 tbsp)

1.       Preheat your oven to 350.
2.       Mix everything together in a large bowl.
3.       Once  all ingredients are thoroughly mixed together roll mixture into little balls about 1 inch in diameter and place them on a greased cookie sheet or greased piece of parchment paper (The paper is definitely recommended. It makes the cleanup quite a bit easier.)
4.       I used a spoon to flatten the balls just a little bit before I baked them.  
5.       Then place them in the oven and cook 15-20 min. 

You are probably thinking why Nut bars and the reason I wrote that is because you can also put this same recipe into an 8x8 cake pan to make nutty bars. It a lot like the other recipe but you don’t cook them.

1.       Mix all ingredients together and place mixture in a greased 8x8 cake pan.
2.       Even out the mixture and flatten in the cake pan (I usually use my hands to do this because the mixture sticks to spoons a lot more then my hands.)
3.       Place in refrigerator and let harden before cutting bars.

No comments:

Post a Comment